Sunday, February 24, 2008

Famous Dyslexic People

I screened another child this week that is extremely bright, but dyslexic. Some parents are fine with the results and others have a hard time with it. I feel like maybe I'm not always sympatehetic enough to what a parent may be feeling at that moment of finding out their child has a specific reading dissabitly because I've seen what happens to children that are screened and then go through therapy sessions designed for dyslexic children. I see how a childs self confidence increases as well as their reading, writing, and spelling ability. I see the accomodations principals, schools, and teachers make when a parent goes into a school asking for help with their child. I see these children succeeding and THAT'S what I LOVE about my job. But from a parents perspective that had no idea why their child was struggling I wonder if these are some questions they ponder: Now what do I do? Will our child be successful? Will they be held back by their disability from doing whatever?Will they always feel dumb in school? How will I help him/her to overcome it? Why did I wait so long to have him/her tested? What's this going to cost to do therapy? What about extra curricular activities verses the time devoted to this?
I have a motto that I strongly believe...I didn't make it up, nor did my parents, but they said it to me year after year: HARD WORK PAYS OFF
Get your child help! Get it now! Do what it takes...make a sacrifice in this area...It is WORTH IT! I have seen it over and over.
And now, here's a website to check out with famous dyslexic people to motivate you to do something for your child NOW!!!
http://www.dyslexia-test.com/famous.html

No comments: